25 December 2010

Gone Astray?

Have you ever felt like someone you know, love and respect has slipped away from the Lord's work? Have you ever felt like that person would never come back to God and has truly lost their love of their calling? While reading "A Journal of the Life, Travels, Sufferings and Labor of Love in the Work of the Ministry" by William Edmundson, I have learned that "going astray" isn't as uncommon has we make it out to be.
Edmundson describes the scene in 1671 America like this "I travelled thirty miles above James Town to a place called Green Springs, where were several convinced people and a meeting had been settled there, but was lost, the people being stumbled in their minds and scattered by the eveil example of Thomas Newhouse, who have been a preacher amoung them." Just like today, there was one amoung the people who caused several to stumble. Personally I have recently removed a lot of negative things in my life and I have had to realize that not all things that are seemingly good on the outside are good inside. Now, the journal doesn't go on to say what happened to Mr. Newhouse, but Edmundson goes on to say that he resettled a meeting in the area, and like sheep that had went astray, were returned to their Shepherd.

Each day that we live in the world, we too are led astray, but as Jesus points out, a good shepherd will leave a flock of 99 to find the ONE lost sheep. I think it's wonderful to know that I am a sheep, and that when I stray, Jesus, my Good Shepherd will leave the flock to meet me where I am and bring me back into the fold.


William Edmundson (1627-1712) was a famous Quaker minister and missionary. During his time as such, he was imprisoned, taken to the stocks to be humiliated in front of people. He made at least 3 trips to the Americas, and several to England. I am proud to call him my 10 times great grandfather!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Accepted! Thank you for following mine. God Bless!