15 July 2011

The Star and The Cross


If you know me, then you've probably seen this symbol, a Star of David superimposed with a roman cross, hanging around my neck. And if you are a Christian friend of mine, you've probably asked me "Why do you wear Jewish symbols?" Further more, you've heard my answer..."If it weren't for the Jews, then we Gentiles wouldn't have a Savior." If this symbol has worried you about my beliefs, you've probably asked me "Why and did I know that Jesus was the only way to heaven?" To reassure you I did, I said "Yes." To your dismay, I have continued to wear my "Messianic Star of David."

So I need to know, why does this symbol bother "Christians" so much? For me, it symbolizes how interwined our faith actually is with that of the Jewish faith. What does it symbolize to you? Instead of asking me in the name of "concern for my understanding of truth or salvation" why don't you tell me why you are so upset by the true understanding of 1st Century, Bibilcal Faith?

Personally this symbol, shows my understanding that if it were not for the Jews rejecting Jesus as their Messiah, then I may not have the opportunity to know Jesus as my savior. I can't prove this stance, but I can however, state that rejection turned salvation my way and for that I am grateful. Also I wear this "Symbol" because it shows others that I recognize that my religion and faith is based in both "testaments" of the Bible. And lastly, I wear this symbol because my Savior is a Jew.

So tell me, what about this symbol makes you feel so uncomfortable?

2 comments:

KARNA said...

Hi Rachel; thanks for your post on my blog. I'm fine. Editing a book, making a visual journal and enjoying my friends in CA. Heading back up to Idaho in a week or so until September then coming back to CA.
I never have thought to be offended by anyone wearing the star of david with the cross...I have a friend who does....I have known Christians with Jewish backgrounds that do. You can be happy that people are concerned about you knowing for sure about the faith by questioning you...they are just looking out for you!! A nice explanation probalby helps them to understand. It's all good! xoxox

Rachel said...

Karen: Great to hear from you my friend! Please stay in touch, I can't tell you how many times I have thought about Jeff...I will talk with you soon!