26 June 2008

Wounding, but faithful

Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses. Proverbs 27:6 (NIV)

A more modern version of the above scripture says "Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy's kisses are deceitful." Both are painful to endure. Recently, today as a matter of fact, someone I consider a friend got married. I expected to receive an invitation at the very least because I had created a reality that wasn't reality. You see I thought the person getting married was a closer friend than she was. Am I mad at them? No. Why be? I am hurt though.However as the scripture says "Faitful are the wounds of a friend." I needed to know that I wasn't "close enough" to get an invitation to the wedding. It's not because I wasn't "good enough", or that I was dejected and rejected. More that I am an aquaintince and that is much more different than a friend. Though I am wounded as a person, I know that this person a dear sister in Christ hasn't done so intentionally...matter of fact, I am sure she has no idea that I am wounded. The enemy though is different. His/Her kisses, false pretenses of friendship only serve to shut you down. They are used to drive walls between you and God, you and your fellow Christians, you and whoever you have a relationship with.So how do we overcome the hurts and disappointments that come to us from friends and enemies. Prayer. Usually I will sit down, have a word or two with God...and leave it in His hands. With the wedding though, I have been trying to figure out if I should or how I can tell my sister I am hurt. Ultimately it's not going to make a difference if my sister knows...But with it in God's hands I can start the process of healing. And healing is the process we want to take more seriously than the petty pot-shots that Satan, our true advesary sends our way.

No comments: